I am a multimedia journalist with a passion for news gathering and the process of journalism. I live for breaking news. I am a coder who believes the story is just as important as the presentation.
Digital journalism goes beyond posting news online; it’s the process by which we transform the traditional newsgathering process into a process of gathering, analyzing and story telling.
You have to be innovative and be willing to get your hands dirty to succeed in a competitive multiplatform landscape. Here is a sampling of the projects I’ve recently been working on.
I'm a journalist who uses the latest technology to tell great stories.
I am always seeking new projects and partners in covering hard news.
KXAN-TV Media General - Austin, Texas
- Lead multiplatform brand execution
- Innovate storytelling for targeted audience
- Developed social media strategy to recruit digital audience to sample broadcast news
Digital Executive Producer
KXAN-TV LIN Media/Media General - Austin, Texas
- Managed digital producer staff while collaborating with developers to create on brand digital-specific content
- Refocused newsrooms digital efforts for mobile-first approach
- Reenergized breaking news coverage through platform-specific storytelling
- Collaborated with news and digital directors to innovate investigative story telling
- Became No. 1 local news site according to ComScore
- Winner: AP Best Digital 2014
WDTN-TV LIN Media - Dayton, Ohio
- Led cultural shift toward digital-first news model
- Worked with sales to develop and monetize interactive projects
- Created specific, on-brand content for targed audience
Digital Executive Producer
WISH-TV LIN Media - Indianapolis
- Collaborated with news and digital directors to create multiplatform breaking news and severe weather coverage plans
- Planned and executed coverage of Indianapolis 500, Super Bowl XLVI
- Led transformation of digital-first newsroom
- Regional Murrow Winner: Best Website
What they say
Patrick was invaluable to help shape our digital newsroom procedures including our breaking news and severe weather plans. He was integral in managing breaking news events including the Indiana State Fair stage collapse and Super Bowl XVLI. His efforts helped WISHTV.com win our first award from the Society of Professional Journalists and Regional Edward R. Murrow Award.
Patrick Tolbert is the kind of person that who drives a team, while equipping them with the tools to get the best possible product out of them. In any capacity, Patrick Tolbert immediately increases the value of the organization of which he is a part.
A collection of some of the latest projects, stories and interactive I've built and published.